Thursday, January 5, 2012

New Horizons

I've been quilting for 12 years and sewing since I was a young child. Having two Grandmothers and a Mom who not only sewed but crocheted and embroidered, pretty much set me up for loving all things fabric! In the time that I've been quilting I've never participated in any swap, exchange or block of the month...until now.
A few months ago I came across a quilters' blog called Stichery Dickory Dock. I enjoyed the quilts she had been sharing and put her in my blog list to read on a regular basis. Yesterday I was reading her blog and saw that she was starting a new Block of the Month for 2012. It's being featured over at a new.to.me craft site called Craftsy. The BOM is free to join! Not only do you get all the videos for the year, but you also get PDF instructions for each block and a materials list. By the time December arrives we will have completed 20 blocks which will make a lap sized quilt.
There is so little in life that is free. I love it when crafters like Amy of SDD are willing to share their time and knowledge with the rest of us at no cost. It's a major blessing and heaven knows I am a huge online class fanatic!
So, if you quilt and are looking for something fun to do this year, here's a great, free opportunity.
Let me know if you decide to join us. I'd love to see what you make!
BTW - I joined up and the pic above shows my fabrics that I'll be using for my blocks. I'm a big fan of dots!

3 comments:

Amy Gibson said...

What a darling post!! I'm so glad you've joined our BOM, and can't wait to see what you stitch up in your gorgeous colorful batiks. Happy quilting! :) Amy

Kelly Warren said...

Hmmm...not that I need to add something else to my list, but I might give this a shot. I've always wanted to learn more about quilting and I'm helping a friend make a small quilt out of some of her mother's clothes this year; it's our goal for the year so we'll be learning together!

My Life Under the Bus said...

Nothing better then free!!! I can sew vicariously thru you lol - I keep saying some day I will learn to sew properly and not just the straight stitch I taught myself. I can't wait to see what you make!